FOM: Arbitrary objects

PL. Miraglia puggim at io.com
Tue Feb 12 21:06:59 EST 2002

On Tue, Feb 12, 2002 at 08:53:36AM -0500, Franklin Vera Pacheco wrote:

>   I have an interesting observation related with arbitrary object.
> I have a friend that teach to some kids the basics things about computers.
> The first that he teach is how to set on the computer ie you turn on the
> display and set on the motherboard.. <<But you can do this in an arbitrary
> order>> (he says) Then surpricely the childs ask <<But in which order>>
>   This is not a cientific test but maybe can be taken as a proof that
> childs do not have the notion of arbitrary objects..

On the contrary, I think a child who asks that question is one who takes
Fine's position quite seriously -- an arbitrary order is a particular
order in that view, albeit not a specific one. The child is following
this to the letter, and finds it very very weird...;)

--
Pierluigi Miraglia puggim AT io.com
	    Austin TX

Aut aliquis latet error.