FOM: intro: theory-edge mailing list

V.Z. Nuri vznuri at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 30 15:16:33 EDT 2001

hi all. I moderate a mailing list many of you may
be interested in. its more informal/casual
than this one, as evidenced in my lowercase
prose (even occasionaly unruly by academic
standards); we have lots of interesting/engaging
content. for the more adventurous &
less philosophical among you. a little on
the wind-in-your-hair "wild side", fair warning!!
(grin)

I just ran across FOM looking for
info on the "standard model". one of our premiere
subscribers francisco antonio doria
is working on a proof
that P=?NP is independent of PA and possibly ZFC.
he's posted various ideas &
his paper to our archives. he thinks
P=?NP will require a "large cardinal" hypothesis
to prove. robert solovay was on our list a bit
helping to dissect some of the ideas.

while this is not really my area
I'm very impressed with the quality of dialogue
here & the topnotch researchers. I just
posted a link to FOM on theory-edge.
congratulations to dr. simpson on organizing/running
a tight ship.

a few questions for everyone on the list, I
will be very interested in any response:

- do you know of any good survey articles on
large cardinal hypotheses, the "standard model",
& the relationship
to complexity theory, computation etcetera

- if anyone has an opinion on whether P=?NP
is provable relative to PA or ZFC, I would
be interested to hear.

- also, I have been wondering a long time if
there is some result in computational complexity theory
related to the continuum hypothesis. any
ideas along those lines?

* * *

21st century paradigm shifts, delivered daily!

The "theory-edge" mailing list is for informal, collegial
discussion of the latest research advances, and especially
newsworthy cutting-edge or breakthrough developments, in the
hardest problems in algorithmics. Try it out!

FAQ:

http://www.geocities.com/vznuri/faq.html

3 YEARS OLD ** EST.MAY 1998 ** 450+ SUBSCRIBERS ** 3000+ MSGS
openly browsable/searchable archives ** ~7 msgs/day average

We're particularly seeking elite scientists, academics,
researchers, and practitioners such as PhDs and
graduate students. We have a few "mini-celebrities" currently
on the list.

Past traffic is diverse. 1st priority items of interest are
recent news reports or media coverage on fresh advances or
breakthroughs in these areas and subscriber reaction/commentary
to them. Its a gift economy--please post them when you run into
them! And more and more, we've already heard and discussed
the cool news *before* it hits the mainstream outlets!

news media               fields                   comp sci
----------               ------                   --------
wired                    algorithmics             modelling
slashdot                 comp sci                 simulations
new york times           mathematics              experiments
cnn                      comp bio                 cellular automata
MIT tech review          comp neurosci            machine learning
new scientist            bioinformatics           artificial intelligence
sci. american            proteomics               artificial neural networks
science week             econophysics             genetic algorithms
science daily            statistics               evolutionary software
                                                  artificial life
                                                  cryptography

Next, we're extremely interested in cutting-edge advances in
computational methods, both on the applied and theoretical sides.
A strong scientific component emerges from engaged and active
subscribers. We've now had three major "open science", *world-class*
research projects and collaborations on the list. Its an exciting
treat to hear daily notes sent by researchers at the cutting edge!

computing forms          computational            science &
---------------          complexity               research
QM computing             ----------               --------
light/optical computing  P vs NP vs Pspace        conferences
nanocomputing            NP (complete) problems   workshops
dna computing            transition point         new papers
biochips                 boolean circuits         writing papers
logic gates/transistors  satisfiability problem   graduate students
reconfigurable computing davis putnam algorithm   masters thesis
distributed computing    resolution               PhDs
parallel computing       hard instances           dissertation
supercomputers           benchmarks               electronic publishing
beowulf clusters         validation               peer reviewing
                         regular expressions      style/etiquette
                         finite state machines    funding/grants
                         turing machines          philosophy
                         undecidability           psychology
                         diagonalization          kuhn's paradigm shifts
                         oracles/relativization   popper's falsifiability
                         symmetries
                         recursion

Other interesting theory-edge topics routinely pop up on the list.
Lots of cyber-synchronicity and synergy occurs among people's
backgrounds when you get a lot of really intelligent and articulate
researchers in the "same room"!

software                 mathematics              physics
--------                 -----------              -------
packages                 unprovability            quantum mechanics
libraries                factoring/primes         local hidden variables
computer languages       graphs                   analog computing
open source              games                    bell's theorem
                         groups                   agent complexity
AI advances                                       chaos
-----------              open problems            fractals
robotics                 -------------            levy distributions
face recognition         riemann conjecture       1/f noise
speech recognition       collatz conjecture       fractional brownian
auto theorem proving     goldbach conjecture       motion
turing test              odd perfect numbers      nonlinear dynamics
                         fermat's last theorem    protein folding
academia &               busy beaver problem
universities
------------             prizes & awards
santa fe institute       ---------------
princeton institute      clay math prize problems
 for advanced study      wolf prize
dimacs institute         turing award
                         fields medal

The greatest scientists have always spurred the greatest
controversy. We're into discussing the work of any, alive or
passed, to advance or consider the state of the art. And we
absolutely dont tolerate fluff or hype!

living                   complexity               past sages
scientists               theorists                ----------
----------               ---------                feynmann
mandelbr"ot              cook                     kolmogorov
john casti               papadimitriou            g"odel
wolfram                  sipser                   turing
chaitin                  hartmanis                einstein
penrose                  fortnow                  hardy
douglas lenat                                     ramanujan
john koza                                         hilbert
ian stewart                                       newton
                                                  gauss

When nothing else is going on, there's always something else
to muse about or write a mini-essay on, to shed some new
light on the subject! A scientific society for the 21st century!

miscellaneous            dichotomies
-------------            -----------
video games                  applied <=> pure
rubik's cube               empirical <=> theoretical
leverage/momentum          induction <=> deduction
killer apps               interdisc. <=> specialized
the "singularity"           informal <=> rigorous
finance/stock market        amateurs <=> professionals
NSA                      nonacademic <=> academic
                             science <=> industry
                          capitalism <=> freedom
                           integrity <=> publicity
                              genius <=> crackpots