FOM: Correction to Comment of Bishop.

Steve Stevenson steve at cs.clemson.edu
Mon Jul 30 13:26:54 EDT 2001

Ayan:

Sorry ... the "that" has an ambiguous antecedent.
The thing that is missing in functional languages is a controlled way
to do constructive sets as Bishop proposed them...Category theory fits
from Rydeheard and Burstall's *Computational Category Theory*,
although I have not tried to use this work in any systematic way.

Bishop's view appeals much more to me than the category approach. I
don't have a copy of Bishop handy, so I can't comment further, except
the idea of "witnesses" through functions for the logical operations
seems to be a good design idea. My interest is in numerical things, so
Bishop is a natural way to think of things.

best,
steve

@book{burstall,
  author =	 {Rod Burstall and David Rydeheard},
  title =	 {Computational Category Theory},
  publisher =	 {Prentice Hall},
  year =	 {1988}
}