FOM: Elements of Philosophies of Math and Science.

Steve Stevenson steve at cs.clemson.edu
Tue Dec 4 15:19:17 EST 2001

Good afternoon:

I have been searching for some help for my students so that they can
read and interpret their readings in the context of what they're
doing. This seems like a losing battle (Of course, I always understood
everything :-) I stumbled onto a one sheet "training aid" for graduate
physics students:

    http://www.cs.clemson.edu/~steve/knowledgevee.pdf

[This is in Novak's book ref'd below where it is called a "knowledge
vee" (I've eliminated the "vee" graphic).] This is really quite good
for my context: 18--25 year old students with little formal training
in philosophy of science. But obviously, this is doesn't cover
mathematics.

My goal is to construct a diagram that emphasizes the "declarative"
structure of mathematics coupled with the procedural/methodological
side such that a student has a frame of reference for interpreting
mathematics and logic papers. I would like the "procedural" side to
include constructive/computational concepts.

Would you please suggest such topics or literature citations?

Thanks.

steve

@Book{novak98:_learn_creat_using_knowl,
  author =	 {Joseph D. Novak},
  title = 	 {Learning, Creating, and Using Knowledge: Concept
                  Maps as Facilitative Tools in Schools and Corporations},
  publisher = 	 {Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Inc.},
  year = 	 1998,
  address =	 {Mahwah, NJ}
}