?Forcing is fancy diagonalization? (was: Reply: FOM:Natural Examples)

Bart Kastermans bkaster at cs.vu.nl
Mon Aug 23 07:29:35 EDT 1999

On Wed, 18 Aug 1999, William Calhoun wrote:

> Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 11:03:31 -0400 (EDT)
> From: William Calhoun <wcalhoun at planetx.bloomu.edu>
> To: fom at math.psu.edu
> Subject: FOM:Natural Examples

[...]

> It seems that our main tool for separating levels of hierarchies is by
> variations on Cantor diagonalization, including "fancy" variations such as
> priority arguments and forcing.

I know Cantor diagonalization and I am learning forcing (I am reading the
book by Kunen).  I do not at all see how forcing can be seen as a form
of diagonalization, can someone explain?

[...]

BK
--
Bart Kastermans, Engelandstraat 68, 1966 NJ Heemskerk, The Netherlands
tel./fax.: +31-(0)251-239 832, Time Zone: GMT + 01:00