FOM: Simpson't pointless persistent misinterpretation of Hersh

Stephen G Simpson simpson at math.psu.edu
Wed Sep 30 10:58:28 EDT 1998

Reuben Hersh writes:
 > Your presenting me with an impressive list of achievements
 > in foundations does not compel me to say I disagree with any of
 > them.

and

 > I'm impressed by your 85% result, ....

If you are impressed by these things, then why do you say that my
critique of your remarks against foundationalism is pointless?  One of
the points of my critique is that you need to take account of the
achievements of foundationalism.  If you don't do so, then your
remarks against foundationalism are pointless.

-- Steve

Name: Stephen G. Simpson
Position: Professor of Mathematics
Institution: Penn State University
Research interest: foundations of mathematics
More information: www.math.psu.edu/simpson/