FOM: recursion theory: Lempp/Simpson correspondence

Stephen G Simpson simpson at math.psu.edu
Thu Jun 4 17:51:15 EDT 1998

Dear FOM subscribers,

Here is some recent correspondence between me and Steffen Lempp, a
recursion theorist at the University of Wisconsin.  I thought this
might be interesting for the FOM list, because it touches on some
contrasting aspects of contemporary recursion theory
(a.k.a. computability theory) and contemporary foundations of
mathematics.  Some open problems in r.e. degrees and in reverse
mathematics are also mentioned.

For some reason the recursion theorists have been mostly boycotting
the FOM list, but let's try to keep the discussion going.  If any
recursion theorists would like to subscribe to FOM, they should please
send me e-mail.

I'd like to thank Steffen for allowing me to post this correspondence.
By the way Steffen, could you please show me the list of open problems
that you have compiled, so that I could post it on the FOM list?

-- Steve Simpson

Name: Stephen G. Simpson
Position: Professor of Mathematics
Institution: Penn State University
Research interest: foundations of mathematics
More information: www.math.psu.edu/simpson/