FOM: Definition of Platonism

Michael Hardy hardy at math.unc.edu
Wed Jan 14 15:58:53 EST 1998

	In the posting numbered 9801.53 in the archive,
Stephen G Simpson <simpson at math.psu.edu> wrote:

> (i.e. Platonism, the view that mathematical truth exists independently
> of, and reveals itself to, passive consciousness).

	I think this gets the definition of Platonism wrong, in just
the way mathematicians often get it wrong.  Platonism is the proposition
that the existence and nature of _universals_ is independent of
_particulars_.  The fact that mathematics deals _only_ with universals
is perhaps why mathematicians often fail to realize that Platonism
says something about universals that it doesn't say about particulars.
Note also what Platonism holds things to be independent of: They are
held to be independent, not of consciousness, but of particulars.

	The proposition that things in general exist independently
of consciousness is not at all the same thing as Platonism.  I would
call this, not ``Platonism,'' but, perhaps, ``objectivity.''

	To me this distinction is important, because I believe that
(1) there is a universe outside of our minds, whose existence and
nature does not depend on our minds, and that this universe includes
that which is studied by mathematics; and (2) Platonism is false, i.e.,
the nature and existence of universals _does_ depend on particulars.

	This discussion erupted on sci.math.research 13 months ago.
Michael Huemer of Rutgers posted the comments below, included here
by permission.

	Mike Hardy

--
Michael Hardy