NYU 2031 Plan and other Scandals
Statement from the Faculty of the Division
Resolution by the Faculty of NYU London
Opposition Groups and Documents
Community Action Alliance on the NYU 2031 Plan (Links to 33 neighborhood
Greenwich Village Society for Historic Preservation
NYU Faculty Against the Sexton Plan
Critics Turn Out at Open House on NYU Expansion, by Lisa Foderaro,
New York Times April 14, 2010.
- Expand Minds, Not the NYU Campus Op-Ed, NY Times, April 26, 2012 by
Ernest Davis, Patrick Deer, and Mark Crispin Miller
- Statement of Objections From Gibson, Dunn, and Crutcher
LLP, submitted to the City Planning Commisssion.
- Resolution of the Union of Clerical, Administrative
and Technical Staff, NYU
NYU is risking its intellectual and fiscal health, by an NYU faculty
member. The Villager, June 21, 2012.
- Why is NYU building? Felix Salmon, Reuters financial blog.
- Building Boom in US Higher
Education Hechinger Report, April 2, 2012.
Too Big to Fail? N.Y.U. keeps growing and growing ... Donna Shaper,
The Villager, April 28, 2010
While We Were Sleeping: NYU and the Destruction of New York.
- 5 Reasons Why NYU's Expansion Plan Reeks of 1% Greed
Laura Gottesdiener, AlterNet July 30, 2012.
- The Beast that Ate the Village by Diane Whelton,
in Minding The Campus, Sept. 7, 2012.
Vote of No Confidence
Six groups have passed votes of no confidence in President Sexton: (in all the
following "Yes" means a vote against the president and "No" means a vote
in favor of the president.)
A vote of no confidence failed at the Silver School of Social Work.
Yes (against Sexton): 12. No: 20. 5/27/2013.
- Faculty of Arts and Science. Yes: 298. No: 224. Abstain. 47. 3/15/2013.
- Gallatin. Yes: 23. No: 21. Abstain: 9. 5/3/2013.
- Steinhardt School of Culture, Education, and Human Development.
Yes: 117. No. 45. Abstain: 22. 5/9/2013.
- Tisch Asia. Yes: 19. No: 1. Abstain. 2. 5/11/2013.
- Union of Clerical Workers. Yes: 157. No: 5. Abstain: 1. 5/10/2013.
- Tisch School of the Arts. Yes: 93. No: 76. Abstain. 16. 5/21/2013.
Departmental Resolutions on the Vote of No Confidence
- The Center for Neural Science passed a resolution
opposing holding a vote on the question of holding a vote of no confidence
on December 17, 2012. Vote: 20 in favor, 1 opposed, 1 abstain, 1 on leave.
- The Economics Department passed some kind of resolution opposing the vote
of no confidence, but I have neither the wording nor the vote.
Slave Labor at the NYU Abu Dhabi Campus
Workers at NYU's Abu Dhabi Site Faced Harsh Conditions,
by Ariel Kaminer and Sean O'Driscoll, New York Times, May 18, 2014.
Petition to President Clinton not to speak
at the inauguration of the Abu Dhabi campus, May 23, 2014, signed by 150
members of the NYU community.
NYU Crisis in Abu Dhabi Stretches to Wall Street,
Andrew Ross Sorkin, Online New York Times, May 26, 2014.
Why NYU in Abu Dhabi Matters,, Harry Lewis, blog, May 28, 2014.
A Trustee's Connection May Complicate NYU-Abu Dhabi Labor Probe
Jack Stripling, Chronicle of Higher Education, May 29, 2014.
Letter from Abu Dhabi Faculty and Staff , Chronicle of Higher Education,
May 28, 2014.
Growth and Expansion of Private Universities in
the District of Columbia: The Case of George Washington University
Sol Shalit, 2001.
New York Hospitals Look to Combine, Creating a Giant
NYU and Russia to Merge
U.Va. president's ouster centers on disagreement in pace of change
Kevin Kiley, Inside Higher Ed
Many universities are in financial trouble, The Economist, August 4, 2012.
College Costs Too Much Because Faculty Lack Power, Robert E. Martin,
Chronicle of Higher Education, August 5, 2012.
Village restauranteur sues NYU for $7M
Building a Showcase Campus, Using an I.O,U. New York Times,
December 12. 2012.
New York University: A Case Study in What Not To Do
Zoe Schlanger, New York Times, January 19, 2015