I am part of Open Networks and Big Data Lab, NYU Systems and NYU WIRELESS. My interests in computer science lie in the areas of both networked mobile systems and data science. On the mobile systems front, I explore methods for improving network performance in next-generation wireless and mobile communication technologies, such as mmWave. On the data science front, I focus on algorithms and methods rooted in statistics for spatiotemporal forecasting and analytics. In the end, I am interested in bringing these two disciplines together to design smart systems for urban spatiotemporal sensing applications. My larger goals beyond PhD are to have such systems deployed in the real world for measurable policy impact.
I am advised by Prof Lakshminarayanan Subramanian.
Prior to this, I spent nearly 3 years at TCS Innovation Labs in Chennai, India, working with a great team headed by Prof Anand Sivasubramaniam on building energy management. The work was mostly experimental research, where we employed building energy simulation tools to test a variety of hypotheses, and validate them against real world data collected from energy meters and sensors.
Prior to NYU, I obtained a Bachelors degree in Computer Science from IIT Madras in 2012.
- Model-Driven Interpretable Congestion Control.
Talal Ahmad, Yasir Zaki, Shiva Iyer, Anirudh Sivaraman, Thomas Pötsch, Jay Chen, Lakshminarayanan Subramanian.
- The Case for MUSIC: A Programmable IoT Framework for Mobile Urban Sensing Applications.
Shiva R. Iyer, Soumie Kumar, Kate Boxer, Fatima Zarinni, Lakshminarayanan Subramanian.
- Fine-grained spatio-temporal modeling of air quality in Delhi using low-cost monitors.
Shiva R. Iyer, William H. Aeberhard, Ulzee An, Sameeksha Jain, Sujoy Bhattacharyya, Giuditta Rusconi, Rohini Pande, Lakshminarayanan Subramanian, Anant Sudarshan.
- Forecasting Sparse Traffic Congestion Patterns using Message-Passing RNNs.
Shiva R. Iyer, Ulzee An, Lakshminarayanan Subramanian. (first two authors contributed equally)
- Learning Congestion State for mmWave Channels.
Talal Ahmad, Shiva Iyer, Luis Diez, Yasir Zaki, Ramón Agüero, Lakshminarayanan Subramanian.
To appear in Proceedings of the third ACM MobiCom Workshop on Millimeter-Wave Networks and Sensing Systems (mmNets). 2019.
- Urban Traffic Congestion Mapping using Bus Mobility Data.
Shiva Iyer, Kate Boxer, Lakshminarayanan Subramanian.
In Proceedings of the first ACM SIGKDD Workshop on Knowledge Discovery and User Modeling for Smart Cities (UMCit). 2018.
- Data-driven Probabilistic Framework for Student Learning.
Rishabh Ranawat, Ashwin Venkataraman, Shiva Iyer, Srikanth Jagabathula, Lakshminarayanan Subramanian.
ICML Workshop on AI and Computational Psychology: Theories, Algorithms and Applications (CompPsy). 2018.
- Crowdsourced Learning.
Ashwin Venkataraman, Shiva Iyer, Kunal Gugale, Sepehr Vakil, Abhijai Garg, Jay Chen, Krishnaram Kenthapadi, Lakshminarayanan Subramanian.
Collective Intelligence. 2016.
Prior to grad school
- Centralized Management of HVAC Energy in Large Multi-AHU Zones.
Srinarayana Nagarathinam, Arunchandar Vasan, Venkata Ramakrishna P, Shiva R. Iyer, Venkatesh Sarangan, Anand Sivasubramaniam.
In Proceedings of second ACM International Conference on Embedded Systems For Energy-Efficient Buildings (BuildSys). 2015
- On the Utility of Occupancy Sensing for Managing HVAC Energy in Large Zones.
Srinarayana Nagarathinam, Shiva R. Iyer, Arunchandar Vasan, Venkata Ramakrishna P., Venkatesh Sarangan, Anand Sivasubramaniam.
In Proceedings of the sixth ACM International Conference on Future Energy Systems (e-Energy). 2015.
- Energy Disaggregation Analysis of a Supermarket Chain using a Facility-Model.
Shiva R. Iyer, Maathangi Sankar, Venkata Ramakrisha P., Venkatesh Sarangan, Arunchandar Vasan, Anand Sivasubramaniam.
Energy and Buildings, Volume 97, 65-76. 2015.
- Comparing apples to oranges: Energy Benchmarking of Supermarkets with Limited Data.
Maathangi Sankar, Venkata Ramakrishna P., Shiva R. Iyer, Venkatesh Sarangan, Arunchandar Vasan, Anand Sivasubramaniam. 2014.
In Proceedings of the fifth international Conference on Future Energy Systems (e-Energy). 2014.
- Watts in the basket?: Energy Analysis of a Retail Chain.
Shiva R. Iyer, Arunchandar Vasan, Venkatesh Sarangan, Anand Sivasubramaniam.
In Proceedings of the fifth ACM Workshop on Embedded Systems For Energy-Efficient Buildings (BuildSys). 2013.
- Fall 2019: Teaching Assistant, Foundations of Networks and Mobile Systems (CSCI-GA. 2630-001 and 002)
- Fall 2017: Teaching Assistant, Big Data and ML Systems (CSCI-GA. 3033-016)
Design credits: HTML5 UP