Instructions: these are modified versus prior instructions
- Responses due by 1:00 PM Thursday
- Send the the course staff email, using the staff email alias
(available on the home page)
- Requirement: include your response in the email itself, not as an
attachment. Use plain text.
- Answer the question below.
- Pose an additional question about the paper that articulates what you found
most confusing, least specified, etc.
Question. See Figure 6. Why does the cache coherence
protocol generate a Broadcast message when the state of a
cache line transitions from 'S' to 'M'? In other words, why can't the cache
coherence protocol use a Direct Probe (DP) or Direct Invalidate (DI)
message in this case?