The Department of Computer Science has limited funds available to support travel by graduate students to professional/scientific conferences related to their academic interests. Here are the rules and procedures needed to obtain travel support from the department:
- You must first apply for a travel grant from the Graduate School of Arts and Science (GSAS), following the timing and procedures described at
http://gsas.nyu.edu/page/grad.travelgrant. Notice that depending on the date of the conference, the application might be due before notification of acceptance, so make sure to check the dates carefully.
If you have a specific faculty research advisor, you must first ask him or her for travel support.
- The standard maximum amount of travel support provided by the department is $500. After travel is complete, original receipts for expenses to be reimbursed should be submitted to Stephanie Tracy, Room WWH 304 or the administrative aide on your floor.
- Preference is given to students who are presenting a talk or (to a lesser extent) a poster. Preference is also given to students who have not previously received departmental travel support. A maximum of two (2) departmental travel grants may be received by one individual during his/her time as a CS graduate student. Student Travel Grants are distributed based on funds available.
- Requests for travel support should be submitted electronically to the Director of Graduate Studies-PhD program or the Director of Graduate Studies-MS Program, as appropriate. Each request must include:
- The name of the conference to be attended, the dates of the conference, and its location;
- A statement from the student explaining the relevance and importance of the conference;
- A letter from the student's advisor confirming the relevance of the conference to the student;
- The acknowledgement received from GSAS about the student's application for a GSAS travel grant (as per 1, above), and copies of correspondence with the student's research advisor (as per 2, above).
Please direct any questions to Santiago Pizzini.