[SMT-LIB] prompts

cok at frontiernet.net cok at frontiernet.net
Sun Jun 28 07:59:25 EDT 2015

The argument for putting prompts on the regular output is that
most tools that have prompts do put them on stdout, I suppose either because it was not thought about or because it was simpler or to avoid problems with stdout and stderr not being flushed appropriately. It is useful to be able to use the prompt as a marker to say that all the input has been received.
I did not even think of this issue until I encountered yices-smt2 doing that and needing to accommodate it in my test suite driver.
Despite the above, I think I'm in favor of using the diagnostic output for the reasons Cesare states. It may need a bit of experimentation to be sure that the user experience from tools is OK, but I've had no problems from yices on this account.
- David