[SMT-LIB] Morgan Deters

Clark Barrett barrett at cs.nyu.edu
Mon Jan 19 22:49:51 EST 2015

Dear colleagues,

It is with great regret that I write to share with you the news that Morgan
Deters, a senior research scientist at the Courant Institute of New York
University unexpectedly passed away on Saturday.

Morgan received his PhD in May 2007 from Washington University in St.
Louis, advised by Ron K. Cytron.  Shortly thereafter, he took a
postdoctoral position with professor Aaron Stump, also at Washington
University, where he designed and implemented the SMT-EXEC execution
service.  SMT-EXEC became an important experimental resource for the SMT
community and was the platform used for the SMT-COMP competition from 2008
- 2012.

In March 2008, Morgan joined the research group of Robert Nieuwenhuis at
the Technical University of Catalonia as a postdoctoral research
scientist.  There, he worked in SAT and SMT solving, making important
contributions to the systems developed by the group.

In September 2009, he joined my research group at New York University as a
research scientist to start a new project: the CVC4 SMT solver.  Morgan was
the lead developer and maintainer of CVC4 and led or contributed to many
research projects and papers related to CVC4 and SMT.

A memorial website has been set up at
http://cvc4.cs.nyu.edu/web/in-memoriam-morgan-deters/. There, you can share
thoughts and express condolences where his family and friends will be able
to see them.  A link to his obituary will also be posted there when it
becomes available.

Clark Barrett