[SMT-LIB] Mixing Integers and Reals in SMT2 formulas

Levent Erkok erkokl at gmail.com
Fri Jul 18 14:16:04 EDT 2014

I think the point is that such queries should be rejected by compliant
solvers. Or, contrapositively, any solver not rejecting such a query is
non-compliant with the standard. This follows from the core theory
definition in
http://smtlib.cs.uiowa.edu/papers/smt-lib-reference-v2.0-r10.12.21.pdf,
page 30; which requires equality to receive the same "sort" for its
arguments.

This is not a mere academic interest: At least in my use case the SMT
solver sits at the very end of an already bloated tool chain that generates
bunch of verification-conditions, rewrites them, modifies it in a variety
of ways, and finally ships it off to the solver. If I introduce a bug
somewhere in that tool-chain (quite likely) and thus generate such invalid
queries, I'd very much like the SMT-solver to simply reject my query
instead of silently accepting it and doing something with it. I consider
this a very important, yet oft-overlooked problem, which could have
implications on the adoption of SMT-solvers in the industry.

-Levent.