[SMT-LIB] New logic for SMTLIBv2 - Separation Logic

Viktor Kuncak viktor.kuncak at epfl.ch
Tue May 27 05:07:43 EDT 2014

Dear Mihaela and Martin

Thank you for the comments. The discussion on separation logic is very
interesting because it brings another view to problems for which
otherwise one would normally use array theories, possibly with
quantifiers. Postponing for the moment the issues of the SL-SMT
marriage arrangements, let me just note two somewhat orthogonal
points.

Regarding this point:

"3. A paper giving the semantics of the theory has been written and is
currently under submission to FMCAD."

If the content of this report is to be used as an argument for
community discussion, it should probably be made available as a
technical report. This would not interfere in any way with the FMCAD
reviewing process (in case this is still relevant).

Regarding this point:

"by the five competing solvers includes mutually recursive functions
(used to specify inductive definitions of data structures) which are
prohibited by the current version of SMT-LIB Standard (page 59)."

I believe that this restriction should be lifted. The first-order
spirit of SMT-LIB is preserved if we preserve the current translation
of

define-fun f (x) t

into

forall (x) (f x) = t

In particular, unfolding of recursive definitions is sound with
respect to such first-order axiom. I also see no problem with any
Inconsistencies that may be introduced by the resulting universal
axiom. One just needs to keep in mind that define-fun, like
assumptions, may introduce inconsistency.

Best regards
  Viktor

--
Viktor Kuncak