[SMT-LIB] your feedback on the future of SMT-COMP

Viktor Kuncak viktor.kuncak at epfl.ch
Wed Nov 21 05:51:29 EST 2012

Dear Cesare and the Steering Committee

First of all, as mostly a user (and contributor at conceptual level)
of SMT technology, I am very grateful for the competition and its
impact, as well as everyone who kept it running!

The barrier to entry is perhaps high because the problem is so
difficult: it has expectations of expressive power and efficiency that
do not exist in any other domain.

Having an up-to-date evaluation of current SMT solvers on an evolving
set of benchmarks is certainly valuable in my point of view. From your
description it seems to me that SMT-EVAL would do this job well, so I
support it.

In the longer term, I am thinking that it would be good to automate
the process as much as possible, make it easy to repeat evaluations
anywhere, with any subset of benchmarks and solvers, so that
evaluation becomes a collective effort that will run by itself in the
stable state. At some point, paper submissions can be expected to
perform such evaluations and make it easy for reviewers and readers to
reproduce the evaluations, with results and artifacts stored for
future reference.

In terms of the applications, SMT is as relevant as ever, but what
would make it even more relevant if we make it possible to use it to
faithfully represent software in a way that makes it possible to run
it and verify it using SMT-LIB as the format. Even though this is just
one possible application, if you envision for a moment a serious
software package or an OS that ships with SMT-LIB files accompanying
all executables, this would give SMT-LIB a whole new dimension. Such
goals have been a part of our agenda in the "Rich Model" activity,
richmodels.org, http://richmodels.org/ (next meeting runs along VMCAI
at POPL 2013 in Rome) and it is recently that I have started to
realize just how close SMT-LIB is to already being able to serve such
purpose.

To make SMT-LIB work for software verification and certification,
there is essentially no change in format required. What we need to
accept is the idea that we can prove satisfiability for *quantified*
formulas with uninterpreted predicates. A certificate of
satisfiability maps uninterpreted predicates into formulas in
decidable axiomatized theories (such as linear arithmetic and finitely
generated arrays).  Typically the predicates will be defined as Horn
clauses, but this is not required from the problem definition point of
view. Such satisfiability checking subsumes problems such as invariant
generation, and I believe it is a very exciting development. I am not
implying that any of these are my ideas, others on these lists have
done more and understood them long ago. I am excited that this
folklore is becoming more popular, because it can really be a game
changing direction in terms of practical impact, and the current SMT
lib and its evaluation are the best starting point we have.

Best regards,

  Viktor

--
Viktor Kuncak