[SMT-LIB] Results of the SMT Steering Committee Elections 2010

Leonardo de Moura leonardo at microsoft.com
Wed Sep 29 13:39:59 EDT 2010

Hi,

An election was held from August 16, 2010 through September 15, 2010 to fill 2 elected positions in the SMT Steering Committee. Erika Abraham, Clark Barrett, Bruno Dutertre, Roberto Sebastiani, and Ofer Strichman were nominated for these positions.

The overall result of the election is the following: Clark Barrett, Roberto Sebastiani are re-elected for 2 years.
Detailed information on election process is provided below.

On behalf of the SMT Steering Committee, we thank all candidates for running in the election, everybody who voted; and congratulate with Clark Barrett and Roberto Sebastiani for being elected.

Best,

Leonardo de Moura
Cesare Tinelli

------------------------------------

--------------------
The election process
--------------------

According to the SMT bylaws (http://combination.cs.uiowa.edu/SMT/bylaws.html), the election follows the Single Transferrable Vote (STV) algorithm (explained in the CADE Bylaws at http://www.cs.miami.edu/~geoff/Conferences/CADE//Bylaws.html#STVAlgorihm).
The two candidates who are ranked highest by the algorithm are appointed for 2 years.

Calls for votes were sent by electronic mail to eligible voters with a current email address, and to relevant mailing lists.
Eligible voters were people who had registered for or authored a paper at SMT in the last 3 years, as well as all present and past SC members, for a total of 180 voters. Of these, 41 responded with a vote, representing a participation level of 23%.
Votes were also received by 7 people who were not eligible (these were generally people who attended one of the last 3 editions of SMT but registered to none of them). Their votes were discarded.
The SC members running this election (de Moura and Tinelli) recused themselves and did not vote.

All votes by eligible voters were valid, for a total of 41 votes. Therefore, in each iteration of the STV algorithm, a candidate is elected iff he or she gets more than 21 1st preference votes. Otherwise, the votes of the candidate with the fewest 1st preference votes are redistributed. (Ties are broken by fewest votes of 2nd preference, then 3rd, etc.)
The tables below reports the distribution of preferences among the candidates until two candidates are chosen. For each candidate, the column list the number of 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th preference votes.

Initial distribution of preferences among the candidates:

-------------------------------
Erika Abraham   5 1 3 2 30
Clark Barrett   13 5 5 7 11
Bruno Duterte   7 14 6 3 11
Roberto Sebastiani   12 7 9 2 11
Ofer Strichman   4 7 5 7 18
-------------------------------

No candidate reaches the mininum number of 1st preference votes.
By redistributing the votes of Ofer Strichman we get:

-------------------------------
Erika Abraham   5 1 4 20 11
Clark Barrett   13 7 9 5 7
Bruno Duterte   8 18 4 5 6
Roberto Sebastiani   14 8 7 3 9
-------------------------------

No candidate reaches the mininum number of 1st preference votes.
By redistributing the votes of Erika Abraham we get:

-------------------------------
Clark Barrett   15 5 11 6 4
Bruno Duterte   9 17 7 5 3
Roberto Sebastiani   14 10 6 6 5
-------------------------------

No candidate reaches the mininum number of 1st preference votes.
By redistributing the votes of Bruno Duterte we get:

-------------------------------
Clark Barrett   18 13 3 5 2
Roberto Sebastiani   18 12 2 8 1
-------------------------------

No candidate reaches the mininum number of 1st preference votes.
By redistributing the votes of Roberto Sebastiani we get:

-------------------------------
Clark Barrett   31 2 2 6 0
-------------------------------

Now Clark Barrett has enough 1st preference votes and is elected.
By redistributing this winner's votes we get:

-------------------------------
Erika Abraham   5 3 3 23 7
Bruno Duterte   13 10 7 6 5
Roberto Sebastiani   15 11 4 6 5
Ofer Strichman   7 6 9 12 7
-------------------------------

No candidate reaches the mininum number of 1st preference votes.
By redistributing the votes of Erika Abraham we get:

-------------------------------
Bruno Duterte   14 9 11 4 3
Roberto Sebastiani   16 12 3 8 2
Ofer Strichman   7 8 12 10 4
-------------------------------

No candidate reaches the mininum number of 1st preference votes.
By redistributing the votes of Ofer Strichman we get:

Bruno Duterte   16 17 2 4 2
Roberto Sebastiani   20 10 2 8 1

No candidate reaches the mininum number of 1st preference votes.
By redistributing the votes of Bruno Duterte we get:

Roberto Sebastiani   30 1 5 5 0