[SMT-LIB] BitVectors32: DIV and MOD

Vijay Ganesh vganesh at stanford.edu
Wed Dec 20 20:57:44 EST 2006

Hi All,

I have the following question regarding signed DIV and MOD. I hope that
the logic designers can answer it at the earliest.

1. It looks like these operators will be present in the future version of
the logic. But there are many different standards for defining the
semantics of these two operators, e.g. Euclidean definition, C99 etc.
However, for better or worse the most widely accepted standard in
programming languages is the C99 standard. Since a large number of
benchmarks come from software applications, I believe it is a good idea to
use the C99 definitions. Other definitions can be easily encoded in terms
of the C99 definitions and other bitvector operations.

The question is "Has a decision been made with regard to which definition
will be used?"

2. I also believe that it is not ok to limit the sorts to a maximum of 32
bit-vectors. We should allow any number of bits.

Thanks for your time,
Vijay.