[SMT-COMP] QF_FP, min and zeros

Christoph Wintersteiger cwinter at microsoft.com
Thu Apr 20 12:58:31 EDT 2017

That's not exactly right; min-has-no-other-solution-13472.smt2 asserts this:

(assert (= r (fp.min x y)))
(assert (and (not (= r (_ +zero 11 53))) (not (= r (_ -zero 11 53)))))

I.e., we have x/y are zeros and the result r is not +0 && not -0. The whole problem is unsatisfiable, i.e., r must be one of the zeros, but it's not known which one. I understand that this is the SMT-LIB semantics at least per BTRW15 (and that's also what's implemented in Z3).

Cheers,
Christoph

Christoph M. Wintersteiger | Researcher | Tel: +44 1223 479724 | Fax: +44 1223 479999 | https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/research/people/cwinter/

Microsoft Research Limited (company number 03369488) is a company registered in England and Wales whose registered office is at 21 Station Road, Cambridge, CB1 2FB