?FOL Transitive Closures

dennis.hamilton at acm.org dennis.hamilton at acm.org
Tue Mar 14 17:44:40 EDT 2023

I'm missing something.  Given N as the domain of discourse, and having 0 and
successor and the minimum axioms for Peano Arithmetic, I don't understand how

	a < S(a)
	a < b ? b < c ?a < c
doesn't establish a transitive closure using FOL (ok, with induction schema),
and to even emphasize the potential infinity (although I think that's already
established via S(x)),
	?a ?b [ a < b ].

So is the claim more about set-theoretic relations in FOL and an inability to
achieve something similar given a (suitable?) relation, R ?