L. E. J. Brouwer and the Sub-Axiomatic Foundations of Mathematics

Patrik Eklund peklund at cs.umu.se
Sun Mar 5 02:09:26 EST 2023

I am very much in favour of separating  mathematics and theoretical
computer science, for the simple reason that theoretical computer
science upholds approaches allowing to use one language to manipulate
another. This is where paradoxes and antinomies come from, basically
adopting Richard and Liar in more or less subtle forms. Nothing wrong
with that, in particular if it leads to innovative computations, but
that's besides what mathematics and foundations of mathematics is-

Indeed, I will be very fine with Computer Science taking care of the
"mathematics of the brain" so that mathematics can continue to take care
of the "mathematics of mathematics".

The question of proof is indeed far from trivial and mathematics will
never allow languages like Isabelle/HOL to be like a supersupervisor or
"oberschwester" for best practice in mathematical proof mechanization.

Is it time to finally separate mathematics from computer science, and I
would be happy if computer science takes all results produced by Gödel,
Turing and Church completely to the side of Computer Science, and
mathematicians will be happy at least with Hilbert and maybe also
Kleene. We will go back 100 years and restart from there. It's time to
do so. We never did.

What I'm saying is that we must be truly interested in solving
antinomies. If computer science do not care to join, fine.

Best,

Patrik