Re: ​Re: Mathematics with the potential infinite

Matthias matthias.eberl at mail.de
Mon Jan 30 07:43:18 EST 2023

In my opinion, both claims make sense from the perspective of a
potential infinite. In more detail:

Define two types/classes: "real" (for real numbers), together with a
constant 0 : real, a function * : real -> real -> real, a relation <= :
real -> real -> bool (and probably more). And similarly a type
"geodesic".

Both types have an increasing extension, finite at each stage. So the
interpretation of * is: For each element a_0 (of type real) at stage
i_0, and each a_1 (of type real) at stage i_1, there is an element a_0 *
a_1 (of type real) at a sufficiently large stage i_2. At each of these
stages there are only finitely many elements. This idea can be applied
to the other constants and properties in the obvious way as well (e.g.
density).

The upper and lower sets U : geodesic -> bool and L : geodesic -> bool
are finite sets at each stage, depending on the stage of extension of
the whole set "geodesic" (they are subsets of it). At each stage they
have a greatest/least element. However, the statement that they have (as
a whole, dynamic set) no greatest/least element is statisfied (e.g. for
set U) whenever for each element a_0 in U (at stage i_0) there is an
element a_1 (at some larger state i_1) such that a_1 < a_0.

The bijective map iso : geodesic -> real is an extensible set of
assignemnts a |-> iso(a), finite at each stage.

Since the inference rules can remain valid, the proof should be no
problem either.

A short comment on uncountablity (non-enumerability), which is somehow
related to Brouwer's lawlike and lawless choice sequences: In the
context of a potential infinite, no infinite set is exhausted
completely, the difference between enumerable and non-enumerable sets is
that for an enumerable set each element will be "hit" at some point by
the recursive procedure. If the class is non-enumerable, this is not the
case, since there is no procedure that creates all elements. However, no
element in such a non-enumerable set will be "forgotten": Whatever
element you can think of, it can be used as the next step in the always
incomplete process.

Regards,
Matthias

------ Originalnachricht ------
Von "Vaughan Pratt" <pratt at cs.stanford.edu>
An fom at cs.nyu.edu
Datum 28.01.2023 09:13:40
Betreff ​Re: Mathematics with the potential infinite