Solution to Friedman's problem regarding Bolzano Weierstrass

Andreas Weiermann Andreas.Weiermann at ugent.be
Fri Jan 20 12:49:30 EST 2023

Dear members of FOM,

Harvey M. Friedman formulated in his FOM 69 posting from November 1st
1999 a problem regarding the Bolzano Weierstrass theorem.

For convenience I include a copy of his posting below.

At the end he asks:

"If we use 1/k_i then I don't understand what the c(n) look like. I am
even confused about, say, 1/k_i(log(k_i)."

I spent some time on this problem and found it very interesting.

Now it seems that I have found an answer to the above question. It is
that in both cases the function c(n) is bounded from above by an
elementary function.

On the other hand functions of the form
1/(k_i(log(k_i))...(log^d(k_i))^{1+epsilon}...)) will lead to
Ackermannian lower bounds on c(n) whereas

functions of the form 1/(k_i(log(k_i))...(log^d(k_i))...)) still lead to
elementary upper bounds for c(n). Here log^d refers to a d-times
iterated log function.

With some extra efforts the phase transition can be refined further when
the log operation is suitably iterated further (along transfinite ordinals).

All the best,

Andreas Weiermann

***************

A staple of baby real analysis is the Bolzano-Weierstrass theorem, which
we take in the following form:

THEOREM 1. Let x[1],x[2],... be an infinite sequence from the closed
unit interval [0,1]. There exists k_1 < k_2 < ... such that the
subsequence x[k_1],x[k_2],... converges.

We now want to discuss ways to suck finite information out of the
Bolzano-Weierstrass theorem.

We begin with the following more precise statement, which relates to the
rate of convergence of the subsequence.

THEOREM 2. Let x[1],x[2],... be an infinite sequence from the closed
unit interval [0,1]. There exists k_1 < k_2 < ... such that

|x[k_i+1] - x[k_i+2]| < 1/(k_i)^2

holds for all i >= 1.

{Here k_i+1 is k sub i+1}.

This is an obvious consequence since any convergent sequence can be
thinned out to have practically any kind of high powered convergence.

Now consider the following special case of Theorem 2.

THEOREM 3. Let x[1],x[2],... be an infinite sequence from the closed
unit interval [0,1]. There exists k_1 < ... < k_11 such that

|x[k_i+1] - x[k_i+2]| < 1/(k_i)^2

holds for all i <= 9.

There is a very strong uniformity here that follows from the compactness
of the Hilbert cube of infinite sequences from [0,1].

THEOREM 4. There is an integer constant c(11) such that the following
holds. Let x[1],x[2],... be an infinite sequence from the closed unit
interval [0,1]. There exists k_1 < ... < k_11 < c such that

|x[k_i+1] - x[k_i+2]| < 1/(k_i)^2

holds for all i <= 9.

To see this, note that by Theorem 3, for every x in the Hilbert cube,
there exists 11 integers k_1 < ... < k_11 < c with the desired
inequalities. This says that the open sets V(c) in the HIlbert cube
cover the Hilbert cube, where V(c) is the set of points for which we can
find the 11 k's below c. By the compactness of the Hilbert cube, this
open cover has a finite subcover. Since the V's decrease as c increases,
some V(c) is the whole space. This is the desired universal integer
constant c for Theorem 4.

How big is c(11), which we take as the least constant for Theorem 4?

THEOREM 5. The c(11) of Theorem 4 exceeds A(3,64) = an exponential stack
of 2's of height 64.

Here is a more general lower bound.

THEOREM 6. For all n >= 1 there exists c(n) such that the following
holds. Let x[1],x[2],... be an infinite sequence from the closed unit
interval [0,1]. There exists k_1 < ... < k_n < c such that

|x[k_i+1] - x[k_i+2]| < 1/(k_i)^2

holds for all i <= n-2.

THEOREM 7. For n >= 10, the least c(n) exceeds A(n-8,64). In particular,
the least c(13) exceeds A(5,64). Here A is the Ackerman function.

There are neat upper bounds on c(n) in this same style, also.

We now discuss what happens when we modify the estimate1/(k_i)^2.
Obviously any strictly positive function will make these statements
hold, but the issue is the size of the associated constants c(n).

If we weaken the estimate by using a function that is somewhat larger
than 1/k_i, then we get relatively small constants c(n). E.g., if we use
log(k_i)/k_i, then we obtain merely exponential upper bounds.

On the other hand, if we use an estimate that is somewhat smaller than
1/k_i, then we get roughly the same Ackerman function level upper and
lower bounds as we have here. E.g., this happens when we use any
(k_i)^t, where t < -1.

If we use 1/k_i then I don't understand what the c(n) look like. I am
even confused about, say, 1/k_i(log(k_i).

HMF