Two Queries about Univalent Foundations

JOSEPH SHIPMAN joeshipman at aol.com
Tue Feb 14 16:40:57 EST 2023

The point of my questions was to see if there was any reason I personally should make the effort to learn HoTT or some other flavor of “univalent foundations”. I am not disputing that that system serves valuable purposes for other people!

My first question was about logical strength, and my impression that it can’t give any more than ZFC plus Grothendieck universes was correct; ZFC plus Grothendieck universes seems to be the limit of what is “publishable without remark”, and easily exceeds other mild strengthenings like MK, so I don’t have a reason along those lines to learn univalent foundations.

My second question was specifically about whether Homotopy Type Theory has given any new INSIGHT into homotopy groups of spheres, where “allows some to be computed that could not previously be computed” is a good proxy for “new insight”. Independently of caring about foundations and logical strength, I care about homotopy groups of spheres for purely mathematical reasons!

— JS

Sent from my iPhone