Re[2]: ​Mathematics with the potential infinite - some inexhaustible?

Matthias matthias.eberl at mail.de
Tue Feb 14 12:19:56 EST 2023

Thanks for the interesting post of James Moody. I agree with has beed
said there, and want to add small comments.

<--
The trick is that we just think of "limit" as a different kind of
mathematical object declared by fiat...
-->

I would say that a sequence is of a higher type, e.g. nat -> rat
(rational numbers), and the limit is of base type (e.g. abstract real
numbers).

<--
I don't see anything here requiring the potentialist to accept anything
other than procedures with finite descriptions, do you?
-->

A potentialist should/could also accept procedures that are not
definable by a description in some specific language. A lawless choice
sequence, or random sequence should also be permitted.

<--
A potentialist on the other hand could claim that infinitessimals have
always been fictions, never having to admit to any mistake about the
existence/non-existence of any mathematical object.
-->

I think that from a potentialist's perspective it makes even sense to
see infinitesimals as indefinitely small, but finite distances. This is
possible since all mathematical investigations are finite and use only a
finite initial part of every sequence or process. These indefinitely
small distances depend on the context of the investigation, but one can
consistently assume their existence.

Basically, the idea of an actual infinite set of all natural numbers,
infinitely many instances of a schema, a gapless number line,
infinitesimals, all of them are fictions or extrapolations of an
arbitrary large set of numbers, arbitrary many applications of a schema,
arbitrary dense sets of points / divisions of the line and arbitrarily
small distances between two points. These fictions are the result of
applying the idea that these big (or small) entities should exist
independent of how often the procedures were advanced.

Matthias

------ Originalnachricht ------
Von "James Moody" <jmsmdy at gmail.com>
An martdowd at aol.com
Cc fom at cs.nyu.edu
Datum 12.02.2023 17:34:17
Betreff Re: ​Mathematics with the potential infinite - some
inexhaustible?