Mathematics with the potential or actual infinite or without emptiness

Patrik Eklund peklund at cs.umu.se
Sun Feb 12 02:46:45 EST 2023

In set theory, the empty set is axiomatized. No other set is, except for
the powerset, but the powerset is a constructor of sets from sets, and
in the end boils down to the axiomatized existence of the empty set.

When we move to using set theory as a metalanguage for developing other
languages, like logic languages, we depart from strict set theory in the
sense of being generated from the empty set, and we start to use
"notation" of all kind. Indices come into play, and we use indexed
notations for sets where the indices themselves are sets.

And natural numbers come into play. Where do they actually come from? At
the very beginning, they are just there out of the blue, so that they at
least can be used in indexing.

When all this happens, we come to a situation where we have several
"languages" that are intertwined and we have lost the sense of which
comes first, and which one is derived room what. This then means that
"from-to" of languages is removed, and this enables to go back and forth
between them. I have called this a breach of the principle of
'lativity'.

This is what happens e.g. in Gödel 1931. There is PM, there is Peano,
and there is set theory. And when the "from-to" is removed, everything
is very "untyped", and the notion of "proposition" is all too vague,
Gödel is able to apply the Liar and Richard's techniques (himself
admitting it) to develop what during a century has been called a
"Theorem", which in fact is nothing but a Paradox.

I would tend to find this these discussions on infiniteness also rather
senseless without more precise foundations.

In general, FOM has never allowed debates on foundations that would
question the establishment. My view was always that we need to go back
to where Hilbert stopped (because he was too old to continue himself),
and dismiss, or at least seriously question, results that are based on
tricks enabled by the Liar and Richard.

Best,

Patrik