A question about finitism

James Moody jmsmdy at gmail.com
Sun Feb 5 12:30:46 EST 2023

Arnon,

You object that Haim is making claims about "every m", which you suggest
violates the principles of finitism. And more generally, you reason
finitist mathematics is incoherent because it cannot be expressed in only
finitist language.

 Your argument against finitism is similar to the argument against Popper's
claim that falsifiability is essential for a (scientific) claim to be
meaningful. Popper's falsifiability, like finitism / potentialism, imposes
a limit on concepts we are allowed to use in a particular discipline. The
objection there is that the essentialness of "falsifiability" is itself not
a falsifiable claim, so by Popper's own logic it is meaningless.

But it is possible for Popper's supporters to get around this by admitting
that the essentialness of falsifiability is not a meaningful *scientific*
claim, but that it could still be a meaningful meta-scientific claim in the
philosophy of science. Likewise, a supporter of potentialism could admit
that some uses of quantification over "all" potential objects could be
useful in making meta-claims about mathematics as a whole, while denying
that those objects "actually" exist. They could also claim that certain
conditions hold *necessarily* of any mathematical object that might ever
potentially exist, even if only finitely many mathematical objects actually
exist right now.

To make a non-mathematical analogy using a classic example from analytic
philosophy, consider the claim "all "bachelors are unmarried". One
interpretation of this statement might be: of all 700m bachelors alive
right now, each of them happens to not be married. The classical infinitist
mathematical interpretation of this might be something closer to this: the
(infinite) set of all abstract objects that are bachelors is contained in
the (infinite) set of all abstract objects that are unmarried. But there is
a middle ground which denies the existence of an "abstract set of all
bachelors" in some Platonic realm containing all possible bachelors, but
still claims something stronger than the contingent claim that "all 700
people alive today who are bachelors happen to be unmarried". That would be
to claim that the (analytic) concept of "bachelor" contains the (analytic)
concept of "unmarried". Some might theorize that this implies *infinitely
many* distinct claims about the infinitely many bachelors that could ever
exist. But you could also say that this analytic claim is something
entirely different from synthetic (scientific) claims that quantify over
(actual) objects, and that you can accept it even if you believe that it is
*impossible* for there to exist infinite sets (of bachelors, or more
generally).

James