Mochizuki on computer verification of abc

Rob Arthan rda at lemma-one.com
Sun Sep 11 18:23:28 EDT 2022

Tim,

There have been a few arguments about whether machine verifications have actually achieved what. was claimed, but not, as far as I know, in mathematical applications (apart perhaps, from some bickering a few years ago about the Mutilated Chessboard problem by Huet, Paulson myself and others, but that isn’t in the same league as abc).

I think it is an over-simplification to say that the assertion that “someone who does not understand the proof might nevertheless guide the proof assistant to a successful conclusion” is nonsensical. Most large-scale problems are solved by teams of individuals, of whom most don’t understand the big picture.  This is standard in engineering and the flyspeck project shows that it applies in formally verified mathematics too

Regards,

Rob.