What Russell meant by "traditional pure mathematics"

Heck, Richard Kimberly richard_heck at brown.edu
Wed Sep 7 01:50:17 EDT 2022

What if what Russell meant by "the theory of natural numbers" was *higher
order* arithmetic? I.e., more or less the theory Goedel calls P? Russell
was not particularly concerned with first order anything. That's a later
development. And it more or less fits with how his reduction of analysis
actually goes. You get the reals a type up from the naturals, which are at
type 2.

That's related to the 'real mathematical result' in PM that Hardy mentions:
2^2^k is Dedekind infinite if k is infinite.

Riki