Leonardi.DB: A Database of Aristotelian Diagrams - LUW October 19 at 4pm CET

jean-yves beziau beziau100 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 17 15:51:56 EDT 2022

The next session of the Logica Universalis Webinar (LUW) will take place
this coming Wednesday, October 19  at 4pm CET

Speaker: Lorenz Demey, KULeuven, Belgium
https://www.lorenzdemey.eu/
Title: Leonardi.DB: A Database of Aristotelian Diagrams
Abstract:  Aristotelian diagrams, such as the square of opposition, are
among the oldest and most well-known types of logical diagrams. Within the
burgeoning research program of logical geometry, we have been developing a
comprehensive database of Aristotelian diagrams that occur in the extant
literature: Leonardi.DB (the Leuven Ontology for Aristotelian Diagrams, and
its corresponding Database). In this talk, which is based on joint work
with Hans Smessaert, I will present Leonardi.DB to the universal logic
research community. We describe the philosophical background and main
motivations for Leonardi.DB, focusing on how the database provides a solid
empirical foundation for theoretical research within logical geometry. We
also discuss some of the main methodological and technical aspects of the
database development. As a proof-of-concept, we provide some examples of
the new kinds of research that will be facilitated by Leonardi.DB, e.g.,
regarding broad trends in the usage and visual properties of Aristotelian
diagrams.

Associate organization: Belgian National Centre for Research in Logic
https://www.logic-center.be/
presented by Jan Heylen
https://www.kuleuven.be/wieiswie/en/person/00047978

Chair: Sergei Odintsov, Editorial board LU
http://www.mathnet.ru/php/person.phtml?option_lang=eng&personid=27585

Everybody is welcome to join.
Register here:
https://www.springer.com/journal/11787/updates/20065848

Jean-Yves Beziau
Editor-in-Chief of Logica Universalis and Organizer of LUW
http://www.jyb-logic.org/