On the fully rigorous formalization of deductive reasoning in mathematics

Mario Carneiro di.gama at gmail.com
Tue May 31 03:08:58 EDT 2022

Your argument seems to be that one can separate any proof involving cut
into a bunch of subtrees, each internally not containing cut, which are
metatheoretically glued together by Cut. But isn't it a bit unsatisfactory
for the theory if it can't validate such "gluing" itself? We just end up
with a bag of proof-pieces and some instructions saying "some assembly
required", but Core logic itself can only perform the gluing at great
cost.  The rigorous development of a mathematical topic would like to
encode both the proof-pieces and also the connections between them, not
losing track of which ones prove which other ones. So you end up needing
another proof system on top of the Core logic proof system.

I think this amounts to saying "any theorem can be expressed as a cut-free
proof except for the cuts", which is obviously true but not obviously
helpful.

Mario Carneiro