Proof by Contradiction / EFQ

Curtis Franks Curtis.D.Franks.7 at nd.edu
Fri May 20 20:23:23 EDT 2022

I /think/ what HF is asking about when he says both that he wants a sort of
rewrite procedure that eliminates what he has called "proof by
contradiction" and also that he is fine with a fully classical proof is
this:

By "proof by contradiction," he means neither what people usually mean by
this nor EFQ. He means the specific use of reasoning from exhaustive cases,
some of which lead directly to the desired conclusion and some of which
lead there only indirectly (typically via EFQ) which in Core Logic would be
reasoning from exhaustive cases some of which lead directly to the desired
conclusion and some of which lead to contradiction (and are thereby
revealed to be cases that didn't deserve consideration in the first place).
So he is not worried about EFQ /per se/ but this specific sort of use of
it. The proof could have EFQ in it elsewhere.

Considering the case of the derivation of disjunctive syllogism in Core
Logic, I think Harvey's point would be -- aside from whether this rule is
demonstrably valid -- whether one would ever have to use it in a proof of
B. Why first establish AvB and then later establish B based on the
realization that A leads to a contradiction. When one can do this, is there
not always some sort of (fully classical) way of proceeding more directly
to B?

Also, the "proof" of disjunctive syllogism in Core Logic that NT displayed
is probably not what HF means by a "proof," because it is a derivation from
the assumptions AvB and ~A, whereas I gather that the question only makes
sense when speaking about proofs from no assumptions.

Curtis