Principle of Explosion

Arnon Avron aa at tauex.tau.ac.il
Fri May 20 01:24:12 EDT 2022

This is the example  I have always given to students of a simple case in which
it is clear that the mathematician's implication is indeed based on the truth-function
for -> that I teach them.

It is also true that the two theorems cannot be proved without using some form of EFQ
(like the disjunctive syllogism).

Having said that,  I should add that one can give  proofs of e.g.  Theorem
in which the use of EFQ is rather hidden. For example: the intersection
of A and B is contained in both A and B. In particular: the intersection of A and the
emptyset is contained in the emptyset. Hence this intersection has no elements,
and so is emptyset. but the intersection of A and  emptyset is contained
in A too. Hence emptyset is contained in A.

Arnon