Proof by Contradiction

Harvey Friedman hmflogic at gmail.com
Wed May 18 19:50:04 EDT 2022

Regarding recent posting of Ingo Blechschmidt.

There is a terminology problem here. I am talking about proof by
contradiction NOT in the sense of the law of excluded middle but in the
sense, as I thought i described it, of deriving anything from a
contradiction. I was not talking about any intuitionistic systems as you
are. I was only talking about classical systems.

The Pi01 conservative extension between classical and intuitionistic
arithmetic is due to Goedel, and is rightly credited to him if I
recall also for Pi02 sentences using if I recall his Dialetica
interpretation.. I came up with a very simple and very applicably new proof
using what is called A-translation that proves Pi02 conservation for a wide
variety of systems.

Harvey Friedman