Bourbaki and foundations

Lawrence Paulson lp15 at cam.ac.uk
Mon May 16 11:02:26 EDT 2022

Dear Neil,

Perhaps more accurate word would be "admissible”. I wonder why beginners find it difficult. “Proof by contradiction” is simply double negation, so not relevant. The question is what happens if 1=0, and in any specific context (Peano arithmetic, ZF, lambda-calculus) deriving x=y is a trivial calculation, so the principle is a codification of that. Computationally it corresponds to type systems in which non-terminating computations can be assigned any type.

I guess it’s not a situation that mathematicians bump into every day, thank goodness!

Larry