true randomness? (finite vs infinite sequences)

Alex Galicki alex.galicki at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 21 00:32:53 EDT 2022

It seems that in the current discussion on "true randomness", there is
so much confusion that it would take way too much time for anyone to
clear that up in a reasonable amount of time. So I have just one
relatively important remark and a few less so. The important one is
this:
Algorithmic Randomness is a fairly advanced branch of computability
theory that is actually dedicated to the mathematical study of various
notions of randomness. Here are two great books on the subject:
1) https://www.amazon.com/Computability-Randomness-Oxford-Logic-Guides/dp/0199652600
2) https://www.amazon.com/Algorithmic-Randomness-Complexity-Applications-Computability-ebook/dp/B00DGER3OS/

The less important are:
A) The below cited "definition" seems to imply that
uncomputable=truly/quantum random. Uncomputability, in general, is not
considered as a `sensible' randomness notion.
B) Last time I checked, nobody had any definitive idea whether
quantum-generated sequences can even be uncomputable, let alone
algorithmically random in any meaningful way.
C) One simple but important idea from Algorithmic Randomness is that
randomness is always relative, there is no "true randomness".