Axiom of Choice/(ultra)filters

pax0 at seznam.cz pax0 at seznam.cz
Sat Mar 19 17:01:02 EDT 2022

Dear FOMers,

many years ago I asked here a question (copied below) about selectors on all
(ultra)filters.

I got this answer:

>(1) as strong as ZFC, but (2) weaker.

When I went through the proof recently, I realized that in (1) there is a
kind of unwanted triviality exploited in the proof

(obtaining AC from (1)). So I would now modify it to

(1 ") ZF+{on every NON-PRINCIPAL filter, there is a selector}

Does this modified (1 ") still imply full (AC) ?

What is its relationship with (2) ?

---End of my question---

Thank you, Jan Pax

"I have a question regarding the Axiom of Choice,
what is the strength of the following two theories:

(1) ZF+{on every filter, there is a selector},

(2) ZF+{on every ultrafilter, there is a selector} .

More precisely, are they strictly weaker then ZFC?

Here, by a selector on a set X I mean a function with the domain all
nonempty sets in X and
with f(x) \in x for every member x in its domain.
Then ZFC is equivalent to ZF+{on every set, there is a selector}.

Thank you
"