true randomness?

Sam Sanders sasander at me.com
Fri Mar 18 16:28:55 EDT 2022

Dear FOM,

Harvey Friedman wrote:

> From https://cs.nyu.edu/pipermail/fom/2022-March/023194.html
>
> "I am not aware of a source of true randomness other than quantum mechanics"
>
> I think you need to explain what you mean by "true randomness" in the
> above sentence.

I second Harvey here: as far as I know, quantum mechanics can provide
finite datasets that are better than classical “state of the art” pseudorandom
sources.  *However*, when talking about randomness in computability theory,
the definition is concerned with infinite sequences.

Which notion are we dealing with (in theory and practise)?

Best,

Sam