Explosion and Cut Required

Richard Kimberly Heck richard_heck at brown.edu
Sat Jun 18 00:03:10 EDT 2022

Of course it's always possible to regard second-order logic as a
first-order type theory and so regard the higher-order bits as math, not
logic. So you might take Boolos's argument to show that mathematical
reasoning is already implicated in quite 'ordinary' thinking. I didn't
mean to suggest that the argument either decides or presupposes any
question about whether second-order logic (or some of it) really is logic.

Actually, at the end of his life, George claimed no longer to understand
the question whether second-order logic is 'logic', stated so baldly. I
myself tend to be with Frege here and think of logic as comprising those
principles of reasoning that are applicable no matter what the subject
matter: Logic is the science of the most general principles of
reasoning. Cases like George's can be modified to make it plausible that
there's nothing specifically mathematical about the inference being made
in that case. You get something like this in this paper
<https://philpapers.org/rec/BOOTBI>.

Contrast the inferences that Jeffrey Ketland discusses in this paper:
https://www.jstor.org/stable/3329329
Those really do look mathematical, and so the argument he's making there
against nominalism has some teeth. Then again, it's also possible to
make a case that those inferences should really be formalized using
non-first-order quantifiers like "There are just as many Fs as Gs". At
the end of his (also too short) life, Aldo Antonelli was working on a
paper arguing that there is a sense in which such quantifiers are
first-order. See e.g. these slides <https://philpapers.org/rec/ANTFQ>.
I've made a similar case here <https://philpapers.org/rec/HECTLO>.

I also that the notion of definition is very important and could use
more discussion than it's usually given. Jamie Tappenden has done some
good work on this. There are interesting cases, such as the definition
of prime number, where there's an important question how the notion is
best defined, even though the usual definitions are equivalent in the
original context. So we can define primality in terms of non-trivial
divisors or in terms of the law: If p | ab, then p | a or p | b. My
understanding is that the latter is the 'right' definition, because it
is what works best in general. But I could be misremembering the example.

Generally speaking, I think Harvey is right that there's some notion of
formalizing 'actual reasoning' that's missed by folks like Tennant.
Perhaps God does not need cut. We do.

'safety' might be a reason to reject second-order principles (or, at
least, not regard them in the same way), it's not clear to me how this
even addresses Boolos's argument. His claim was that, if you accept the
inference in question:
     ∀n(f(n,1) = s1)
     ∀x(f(1,sx) = ssf(1,x))
     ∀n∀x(f(sn,sx) = f(n,f(sn,x))
     D1
     ∀x(Dx → Dsx)
     ∴ Df(ssss1,ssss1)
then the reasoning that convinces you of its validity is simply not
first-order. It can't be, because any reasonable first-order version of
that inference is mind-bogglingly long. Ketland, in his paper, tries to
parlay this 'psychological' claim into an epistemological one.

Riki

--
----------------------------
Richard Kimberly (Riki) Heck