Explosion and Cut Required - Inference Systems

Mario Carneiro di.gama at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 02:05:37 EDT 2022

I appreciate the summary of the argument as it currently stands. You
misapprehend my objection however: I have no problem at all with step 3,
and (A <-> B) -> (~A <-> ~B) is very obviously derivable. You focus a lot
on this step but give short shrift to the actually flawed step which is
step 2. I have been asking for a direct proof of your claim that
reverse-DNS.1 is derivable but I have received only a reference to a proof
on your website that apparently proves X, A |- B ==> X, A |- B and does not
use Core rules: in particular Cut appears and you have not used it
correctly. If I interpret this proof charitably as a way to show X, (A ->
B) -> B |- B ==> X, A |- B, I get:

1. X, (A -> B) -> B |- B (Hyp)
2. A |- A  (Ax.)
3. B |- B  (Ax.)
4. A, A -> B |- B (L-> 2,3)
5. A |- (A -> B) -> B (R-> 4)
6. X, A |- B (Cut 1,5)

The last step very clearly uses Cut, which is not a rule of Core logic. The
thing that was proven admissible is not exactly this rule but rather

6. X, A |- B/# (Cut' 1,5)

where the determination of whether the consequent is B or # depends on
details of the two derivations 1 and 5 that were used (and since 1 is an
arbitrary hypothetical derivation we cannot evaluate it to say which it
is). In the case of interest, X = ~A and 1. is proved by applying DNS.3 to
the trivial proof of ~A, A |- #, and for this choice of derivation step 6
evaluates to the trivial proof of ~A, A |- #.

PS: You often turn to minimal logic provers in order to make a point about
derivability of this or that, but while doing so you ignore the difference
between A, (B -> C) |- D ==> E |- F and (A -> ((B -> C) -> D)) -> (E -> F).
For core logic specifically, this is not okay: core logic for pure formulas
involving implication looks basically like classical logic, but there are
various effects that appear only "at the level of the turnstile" as you
well know, so you can't argue that just because the latter is derivable the
former must also be derivable.