Non-foundationalist foundational thinking

Christian Espíndola christian.espindola at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 08:00:28 EDT 2022

Harvey Friedman wrote:

"One question I have been asking is whether type theory or category theory
can provide any satisfactory form of Goedel's Second Theorem. With Goedel's
First Theorem, there has been no problem. But several of the leaders in
Category theory and Type Theory today say they have no insight as to how to
look at Goedel's Second Theorem categorically or type theoretically."

André Joyal has given a completely satisfactory proof of both Goedel's
first and second theorem categorically using arithmetic universes, where
he's able to mimic the construction of Goedel's sentence and of Con(T) by
internalizing and show that they are not provable if T is consistent. The
same categorical construction for Goedel's first theorem can be used for
Goedel's second theorem. The proof has recently been made available on
Arxiv, and it conclusively shows that the arithmetization of
metamathematics corresponds to internal reasoning in certain categories.

Christian Espindola
Associate Professor
University of la Réunion
Réunion, France