On the fully rigorous formalization of deductive reasoning in mathematics

Tennant, Neil tennant.9 at osu.edu
Sat Jun 4 20:54:08 EDT 2022

This is a brief reply to Vaughn Pratt's interesting post about a potential analogy with the competence/performance distinction in theoretical linguistics.

"My understanding of Neil's Core Logic is that it doesn't need Cut in the
sense that any theorem provable in it with Cut is also provable without
Cut."

I just want to point out that "theorem provable in it with Cut" means, in the sentence quoted, "theorem provable in Core Logic (from some set of axioms) with Cut". But, as I've just tried to make clear in response to Jo's most recent post, no Core proof ever involves Cut. Core proofs are Cut-free and Thinning-free. That is how (along with subtle tweakings of certain Right and Left rules) they ensure relevance between their premises and their conclusions.

Neil Tennant