Shannon's information theory and foundations of mathematics

dennis.hamilton at acm.org dennis.hamilton at acm.org
Sun Jul 10 15:00:56 EDT 2022

I stand by my objection concerning “worldview.”

We don’t come with identical worldviews.  We certainly don’t come with identical notions of what are grounded facts, what are accepted theses, and what matters.

That there is an economy of utterances in linguistical expressions does not suggest any contradiction to me.

I claim that confirmation bias is as strong an influence as anything else, and one can encounter contradictory statements of fact (allegedly one valid and another dis-informative) that are not so distinguishable as utterances based on Zipf’s law or any proposed Shannon entropy.  Belief is a powerful driver.

I wager that statements with terms such as “fascist” and “nazi” may rank more surprising than ones with “those” and “others.”  Yet both could be mis-attributions, no matter which ones people nod their heads over.  Calling “name-your-Supreme-Court-Justice” a liar will have some nod, while others will view that Justice as a victim.

So how can one possibly distinguish disinformation from form alone?  >From familiarity or unfamiliarity to whom?  From what arbitration of fact?  How are “surprising *truths*” to be distinguished?