non-computability of overfitting

Josef Urban josef.urban at gmail.com
Wed Jan 26 14:43:48 EST 2022

I am far from being an expert in theoretical ML, but I don't think
overfitting is a solved problem - both theoretically and practically.

Even in the currently hottest neural settings, there has been interesting
new research recently, contradicting the standard "more/bigger training
implies more overfitting" practical wisdom [1].

There are also interesting recent theoretical results about the unusability
of neural methods for hard computational problems [2].

Probably the part of (quite theoretical) ML that is most related to topics
like Kolmogoroff complexity is Solomonoff's induction [3]. There certainly
are provable theorems there about uncomputability. But I am not sure how
much overfitting was studied in that setting.

Josef

[1]: https://arxiv.org/pdf/1812.11118.pdf
[2]: https://arxiv.org/abs/2002.09398
[3]: