Chrysippus and incompleteness (correction of the title in the submission)

dennis.hamilton at acm.org dennis.hamilton at acm.org
Sat Apr 2 20:03:12 EDT 2022

From: José Manuel Rodríguez Caballero
Sent: Saturday, April 2, 2022 00:58

> I would like to share the following quote due to the great Ancient logician
> Chrysippus of Soli (279 - c. 206 BC), found in a book written by Marcus
> Tullius Cicero (106 BC - 43 BC):

> > if uncaused motion exists, it will not be the case that every proposition
> > [...] is either true or false, for things no possesing efficient causes
> > will never be true nor false
> > page 5 in: M. T. Cicero, "On Fate"
> > http://www.sophia-project.org/uploads/1/3/9/5/13955288/cicero_fate.pdf

> Is there any formalization of Chrysippus's claim?

I would be curious if there were anything that counts as a formalization of
causality, and the claim would remain curious.  I cannot speak to the position
of Causal Set Theory in the question.

It is my impression that causality with respect to physics is some sort of
philosophical hang-over not necessarily shared by physicists and apparently
not required of their physics..

 The notion used in relativity has to do with the (necessary) time-ordering of
somehow-interdependent events although labeling of cause and effect is simply
about that ordering, with limited conclusions as to their natures (causes can
be effects and effects can be causes).   Chrysippus might not be very happy,
and Aristotle even less so.  Agency seems to disappear from the picture, even
though we might observe/experience such an activity at our level of
perception.

 - Dennis