Completeness and decidability

Richard Kimberly Heck richard_heck at brown.edu
Fri Nov 26 17:22:20 EST 2021

On 11/26/21 16:50, Giovanni Lagnese wrote:
> Obviously, your argument for the left-to-right direction holds not
> only for PA but also for Q.

Well, PA could prove this for Q, but I suspect that Q itself will not
formalize that argument. That's just because (as far as anyone knows) Q
cannot formalize the proof of the first incompleteness theorem, the
reason being that induction is all over that argument. That said, some
form of the argument presumably can be formalized in I\Delta_0 +
\Omega_1, since, as Wilkie and Paris showed in the bounded induction
paper, you can do G2 there. And that theory is interpretable in Q, even
if it is (in another sense) much stronger than Q.

> The right-to-left direction (for Q) seems an interesting question to
> me. Do you think the answer is probably no? Do you have any ideas in
> mind to build a model of Q that shows it?

No, no ideas at the moment, but the usual proof that first-order logic
is undecidable surely uses induction, so that proof will not go through
in Q. (Cuts will not help there.) Probably someone knows what sort of
theory we need to prove that first-order logic is undecidable?

At first glance, it seems like the proof I gave also uses something like
\Sigma_1 completeness, which again Q has no hope of proving. I suspect a
counter-model is readily available. You have such freedom with the
non-standard elements in models of Q. That's why it's so easy to build
counter-models to commutativity, etc.

Riki

--

Email:rikiheck at brown.edu