Fwd: Frank R. Drake (1937-2021)

Martin Davis martin.david.davis at gmail.com
Sat May 22 12:03:25 EDT 2021

This sad information, written by Stan Waner, was forwarded to me by Philip
Welch.

Martin
------------------
Frank R. Drake (1937-2021)
Set Theorist and Founding Secretary of the British Logic Colloquium.

With great sadness, I have to report that Frank Drake passed away, at home
in Leeds, on Sunday 16th May.  His wife Verna and daughter Anne were with
him.

Frank was a lifelong mainstay of the Leeds Mathematical Logic Group. After
national
service and a Ph.D. in modal logic under Timothy Smiley at Cambridge, he
was one of
the early appointments, in 1962, to the emerging group at Leeds University
under
Martin Loeb. In the summer of 1967 he attended the NSF Summer Institute at
UCLA
on Axiomatic Set Theory, where his interest in large cardinals was greatly
stimulated.
Back in Leeds he gave early graduate lectures on constructible sets and
forcing, and
in 1974 published a now classic text: "Set Theory - an Introduction to
large Cardinals"
(North Holland Studies in Logic and Foundations, volume 76). A later
intermediate set
theory textbook with D. Singh (Indian Institute of Technology), published
by J. Wiley,
was aimed at a more elementary level. His research work in set theory
focussed on partition cardinals, where he introduced a hierarchy of Erdös
cardinals, and early work on collapsing arguments in forcing.

--------------------

Professor of Mathematical Logic
https://people.maths.bris.ac.uk/~mapdw/
President British Logic Colloquium