Weak weak Koenig and covering spaces

Timothy Y. Chow tchow at math.princeton.edu
Mon May 10 13:09:03 EDT 2021

Are any basic topological theorems about covering spaces unprovable in
RCA_0?

The reason I ask is that I was recently refreshing my memory about some of
those results, and it seems that some version of the Vitali covering lemma
is typically used when lifting a map to a covering space.  So maybe the
weak weak Koenig lemma is needed?

There are some basic results about finitely generated groups that have
nice proofs using covering spaces.  Perhaps the simplest one is that a
subgroup of a free group is free.  More sophisticated examples can be
found in Serre's book "Trees."  Are any of these results unprovable in
RCA_0?

Tim