PhD position in proof theory / reverse mathematics

Anton Freund freund at mathematik.tu-darmstadt.de
Wed May 5 11:48:07 EDT 2021

Dear logicians,

>From autumn 2021, I will lead a junior research group in mathematical
logic at TU Darmstadt, funded by the Emmy Noether Programme of DFG (German
Research Foundation). If you know someone who might be interested in a PhD
position in this group, it would be great if you could forward this
message. Thank you so much for your help!

The group will work on a project with the title "Continuous order
transformations: A bridge between ordinal analysis, reverse mathematics,
and combinatorics". To see some themes that are important for the project,
you could look at

- the introduction of this paper: https://arxiv.org/abs/2001.06380
- this blog post:
https://prooftheory.blog/2020/06/03/from-cut-elimination-to-reverse-mathematics/
- introductions to ordinal analysis and reverse mathematics online or in
textbooks.

If you are looking for a PhD position: It's completely fine if most of the
resources above are not understandable yet. What's most important is that
they sound interesting. If that's the case, you are warmly invited to send
me an informal email (to freund at mathematik.tu-darmstadt.de). We can then
discuss via email or zoom.

The preferred starting date is 01.10.2021, but it may be possible to start
up to a year later. In any case, please don't hesitate to send me a first
informal email soon.

All the best,
Anton (Freund)